Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Appendix to Statement of Purpose - Part II

APPENDIX TO STATEMENT OF PURPOSE - PART II
ADDRESSING MY NATIVE AMERICAN DESCENT (HERITAGE), HI-CULTURAL AND CROSS-CULTURAL INTERESTS


The few lines written in Part I of my Statement of Purpose could not possibly disclose to you the entirety of the intent for my work without including this additional information.

Although I have yet to register with the Cherokee Nation, because of political and personal beliefs, I am Cherokee by descent on my father's side of the family. I have spent time on reservations and with many other Native American people, both independently and through my involvement with the Native American student groups at the University of Iowa.

Many times my "Indianess" has intertwined with that of my "Western" education and interests; on other occasions I have addressed it independently or purposely juxtaposed it in order to confront issues of personal and cultural identity.

I consider myself an outspoken proponent of the importance of aboriginal/Native American art, spirituality, cultural beliefs and interests. Still, I do not deny the impact of Western civilization on my life. This has led me to compare and contrast cultural similarities and differences, not only in dealing with issues of personal identity, but as an investigation into the larger issue of multiculturalism.

My desire to examine issues of personal identity, considering its collective process, as well as my interest in cultural similarities and differences, propels me in my examination of anthropological and spiritual aspects of the world. It is from these interests that my work is cultivated and has evolved.

From this research I have drawn many connections between western philosophy/theory and spiritual doctrines and practices of other cultures. My quest for ontological resolution has broadened my interests past that of my bi-cultural, Native American concerns to cross-cultural interests reflected in some of my work.

I trust that this additional insight will help clarify my position, interest and intent for my work as it has added a new dimension in the stratus (stratum) of meaning to be found there. As with all artwork, meaning becomes derived in the process of interaction by the viewer and what he or she has brought with them via their education, background and experiences. I always welcome new readings and insight into my work as I believe an artist's work goes beyond his comprehension and intent.